Rosemary has a deep history dating back to the Middle Ages where it was used to protect against the plague. It is one of the earliest plants to be used for food and medicine. Rosemary essential oil comes from the flowering tops or leaves. Let us take a closer look at the essential oil form of Rosemary and ways to incorporate it in your daily life for healing.
Rosemary Oil Benefits:
- Helps improve concentration, focus and memory loss
- Highly antiseptic helping to fight germs and infections
- A mild pain reliever easing headaches, acute injuries and cramps
- Good for lung congestion and respiratory support
- Stimulates the scalp encouraging hair growth and combats against dandruff
- Eases aches and pains from strenuous work outs or excercise
Rosemary Oil Uses:
- Put a drop on a tissue or cotton ball and inhale deeply to help you concentrate or focus at work
- Add 1 drop to a handful of shampoo and wash your hair
- Add to a diffuser to cleanse the air in your house when there is illness
- Put 1 drop in a bowl and add steaming water. Cover your head and steam for 3-5 minutes to help break up congestion from a cold.
- Add 5-6 drops to 1 ounce lotion and apply to sore muscles
- Put a drop on a cotton ball and inhale to help you stay awake and focused while driving
Safety to consider when using Rosemary:
- It is a mentally stimulating oil and best to use in the morning or during the day.
- Not recommended for high blood pressure
- Avoid during pregnancy and if you are epileptic
- Rosemary can be skin irritating so best not to apply to your skin undiluted.
- Use caution with children. No more than 2-3 drops per ounce of carrier lotion or oil and never use undiluted with children.
- As with all essential oils, do not use on animals under 60 pounds. And if you have cats or smaller animals like guinea pigs, make sure there is a way for them to get fresh air if you are diffusing. Opening a window is sufficient.
Check out Kokokahn’s Rosemary Essential Oil for other therapeutic properties, uses and safety considerations.
Do you cook with Rosemary? Do you use the essential oil? What ways has Rosemary helped you?