Citrus essential oils always make me think of Spring and Summer with their light, bright and uplifting qualities. Therapeutically citrus essential oils are great for cleaning with due to their high limonene content. Limonene is antibacterial, anti viral and encourages white blood cell growth making it a great immune supporter. All the things you want in a cleaning product. Tangerine and orange essential oils have the highest amounts of limonene at 90% or more. All the citrus oils are happy, uplifting and good for cheering you up. They are also relatively inexpensive making them another reason to use them in cleaning products. Here are some other highlighted therapeutic benefits of some citrus essential oils. Be sure to read through to the end for a cleaning spray recipe.
- Orange Essential Oil: Stress reliever. Good for depression. Good for upset tummies (be sure to dilute it in a lotion or carrier oil before applying to upset tummies or the skin).
- Tangerine Essential Oil: Same therapeutic benefits as orange essential oil. Good for dizziness.
- Lemon Essential Oil: A natural de-greaser. Put a few drops on your cutting boards to disinfect.
- Lime Essential Oil: The most aromatic of the citrus oils. Helps cool a fever and soothes a sore throat.
- Grapefruit Essential Oil: Good for cellulite and jet lag.
A Safety Note: With the exception of orange essential oil, all the above citrus essential oils are phototoxic. They can cause burning on the skin if you apply them and then go in the sun. Always dilute citrus essential oils in lotion or a carrier oil before applying to the skin as they can also be skin irritating. A good dilution ratio is 8 to 10 drops essential oil to 1 ounce carrier oil or lotion.
Essential Oil Cleaning Spray
Use on tile floors, counter tops, kitchen and bathroom sinks or
for dusting ceiling fans.
What you will need:
- 16oz spray bottle (easy to find in the gardening section of Lowe’s, Walmart or Target)
- White vinegar
- Distilled water
- Citrus essential oils
- Fill your bottle with distilled water, then add 2 tablespoons white vinegar. Lastly, add 40-50 drops of your choice of a single citrus essential oil or a combination of essential oils.
- Shake and spray! Make sure to shake before each use as the essential oils will separate from the water when sitting.
Check out our Clean No 5 blend with lemon, tangerine and peppermint essential oils.
What essential oils do you like to clean with?
Do you have any natural cleaning recipes to share?