There are many types of Lavender with a variety of therapeutic uses. This blog will focus on one of the most common, Lavandula angustifolia. Lavender comes from the latin word lavare, meaning to wash. It’s roots come from Roman times when they added lavender to their wash water. Lavender is distilled from the flower tops and is native to the Mediterranean region.
Lavender is one of the safest oils to use and is one of the best first aid oils. It is safe to use with children (diluted in lotion or a carrier oil such as jojoba) and safe to use undiluted or “neat” on adult skin. Star qualities include it’s skin healing properties and emotional balancing effects. There are so many wonder-ful uses of Lavender. Below is a list of some and ways to use them in your daily life.
- Apply 1 drop undiluted to burns and cuts. It’s best to apply directly after the injury and reapply 2 to 3 times throughout the day.
- Apply 1 drop undiluted to bug bites. Helps relieve itching and speeds up healing.
- Good for tension headaches. Apply 1 drop undiluted to temples or the back of your neck.
- A good anti-inflammatory oil. Reducing inflammation helps to relieve pain and swelling. Add to a bath, or put 5-6 drops in an ounce of lotion or oil and apply to inflamed areas.
- Aids sleep and stress. Add a drop to your bedsheets before going to bed.
- Great for unwinding daily stress and tension. Put 5-6 drops in the bath, or put a drop on a tissue and inhale deeply throughout the day.
- Freshens and relaxes the home. Add 2-3 drops to a pot of simmering water. Add to an electric or tea light diffuser.
- Add 30 drops to 1 1/2 cups baking soda and sprinkle on the carpet. Wait 30 minutes and vacuum up. Really nice for a fresh, clean spring scent in your home!
- Good for PMS and the monthly cramps that come with it. Add 10-12 drops to 1 ounce of lotion or oil and apply to your tummy or lower back. I recommend applying 2 to 3 times a day.
- Helps digestion. Add 5-6 drops to an ounce of lotion with 5-6 drops of orange essential oil and apply to tummy.
- Great for Restless Leg Syndrome. Add 10-12 drops to 1 ounce of lotion or oil and apply to your legs.
As I’ve mentioned in other posts, it is important to buy unadulterated high quality essential oils. Fragrance oils or essential oils that are cut with synthetic ingredients do not have therapeutic value. The latin name and country of origin should be on the label of all essential oils you buy. GC/MS testing is the only way to ensure an essential oil has not been adulterated. I recommend only buying essential oils that have been tested this way. I’m excited to announce that we are offering GC/MS tested essential oils on our website now. As we grow, we will be adding more to our line. We currently offer a beautiful French Lavender from the high altitudes of France. Click here to see a list of oils we currently offer.
How do you use Essential Oils? What are some of your favorite Essential Oils? Do you use Lavender? I am not a doctor and do not suppose to be one. The information provided is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent illness. It is for educational purposes only and my pleasure to share my experiences and research with you.