Can I Use Essential Oils for Headaches?
Yes! Glad you asked! Using essential oils for headaches is a natural and holistic approach to ease your pain in a healthy way. It’s hard to be your best when headache pain demands your attention and slows you down! Kokokahn has a few tips and recipes when using essential oils for headaches.
Our top 5 essential oils for headaches
How Should I Use Essential Oils for Headaches?
Remember to always dilute essential oils in a carrier such as coconut oil, jojoba oil or aloe gel before putting them directly on your skin. Try this recipe for hormonal headaches associated with menopause and or PMS. Also, check out our Headache Roll On with peppermint, eucalyptus and lavender essential oils. They are especially helpful for migraines and tension headaches often associated with stress.
Try This Hormonal Headache Soother:
Add the essential oil drops to the jojoba oil. Cap and shake. Apply to temples, back of neck and forehead to soothe headaches
Learn More About these 5 Essential Oils for Headaches
Use for migraines and tension headaches. It’s also helpful for concentration and focus with a distinctly uplifting and energizing effect. Peppermint essential oil is antiseptic and often used for pain, digestive and respiratory support.
- Add 1 drop in a bowl of steaming water and steam with a towel over your head for 2 to 5 minutes. Helps break up congestion and ease headache pain
- Add 5 drops to a diffuser in the daytime to energize and stimulate the mind
- Add 1 drop to a cotton ball and keep on your work desk to help you focus
- Add 5 drops peppermint essential oil to 2 Tablespoons aloe gel and rub on upset tummies
Peppermint essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves of the plant.
Good for hormonal headaches, among other holistic benefits. For example, it helps ease menstrual cramps, PMS and menopause. It can be supportive for labor pain. It’s beneficial for overall emotional and physical support, especially helpful for asthma. It also helps soothe depression and relax feelings of anxiety and stress. If you have oily skin, try Clary Sage essential oil to balance sebum. Many also find it helpful for dandruff. Bonus, as one of the essential oils for headaches, it can produce a pleasant side effect of euphoria. It’s known to evoke smiles and laughter. It also has a reputation for encouraging creativity and eliciting dreams.
- Diffuse 4 to 5 drops in a diffuser to melt away headaches, nervous tension and anxiety
- Add 8-10 drops to 1 ounce coconut oil and apply to hair as an overnight deep conditioning treatment
- Add 8-10 drops to 1 ounce jojoba oil and apply to lower tummy to soothe menstrual cramps.
Clary Sage essential oil is steam distilled from the flowers. The clary sage Kokokahn carries is from France and certified organic through the farmer.
Good for digestive and hormonal headaches, as well as migraines. The chemotype linalool Kokokahn trusts and uses is gentle on the skin. It helps support overall health and immunity. As well as easing headache pain, its antispasmodic effects help relieve muscle cramps. Also, try Sweet Basil for coughs, the flu and colds.
- Add 10-15 drops sweet basil to 1 ounce jojoba oil. Mix well. Apply to your neck, chest and temples to help soothe stress headaches.
- Add 1 drop to a bowl of steaming water. Cover your head with a towel and steam for 2-5 minutes. This helps break up coughs. It can support health when you have a cold or the flu.
- Add 1 to 2 drops to a cotton ball and inhale deeply
Sweet Basil essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves of the plant.
Good for migraines, sinus and tension headaches. Often used for it’s anti-inflammatory properties. It’s also beneficial for supporting your health when you have a cold or the flu. Bonus, it’s not only beneficial as one of the essential oils for headaches! Try using it to clean with too! It’s antibacterial, antiviral, and it’s also a great bug repellent. It helps support healthy air in the home for respiratory and immune system well-being.
- Put 1 drop in a bowl of steaming water. Cover your head with a towel and steam for 2 to 5 minutes. Helps break up congestion and ease headache pain.
- Diffuse in the home when colds or the flu is present
- Add 2 to 3 drops to the shower floor for a daily quick clean
- Add 40 drops to 8 ounces of hand soap for a natural antibacterial soap
Eucalyptus essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves of the tree.
Good for all headaches. It promotes relaxation, eases stress and supports sleep. With so many therapeutic properties to mention, Kokokahn recommends it as one of the 5 essential oils for headaches. Use it for restoration and support for a healthy emotional balance. Bonus, it’s also great for bug bites, rashes and skin irritations.
- Add 1 to 2 drops to a cotton ball and inhale deeply to ease headaches and stress
- Diffuse in the home for relaxation and sleep
- Put 1 drop in your bed sheets to encourage a restful night’s sleep
- Apply 1 drop to a cotton ball and rub on bug bites to soothe and stop the itch
- Add 4 to 5 drops to a warm, relaxing evening bath
Lavender Essential Oil is steam distilled from the flowers. Kokokahn trusts and uses the highest quality from Provence, France.