Essential oils are very potent and concentrated. When we use them topically it is important to dilute them in a carrier such as aloe gel, jojoba oil or coconut oil. The amount of essential oil drops you put into an amount of carrier is called essential oil dilution. Using most essential oils on the skin without diluting them can cause skin irritation and rash. This can happen immediately or over time. It is important to use a high quality essential oil when using them topically too. Low quality essential oils with adulterants or other synthetic chemicals increase the chance for skin irritation. And they do not have therapeutic healing benefits. Here are some essential oil dilution rates for using essential oils topically to help you use them safely and effectively.
Essential Oil Dilution Rates
1. For children ages 2-10, pregnant women, sensitive skin, senior citizens with compromised health and the face and neck areas.
- Add 5 to 6 drops of any one or combination of essential oils to 1 ounce or 2 tablespoons carrier.
2. For healthy adults and children over 10.
- Add 8-10 drops of any one or combination of essential oils to 1 ounce or 2 tablespoons carrier.
3. For pain relief and short term (less than 2 weeks) topical use in healthy adults and children over 12.
- Add 15-18 drops of any one or combination of essential oils to 1 ounce or 2 tablespoons carrier.
Do not use essential oils topically on children under 2, cats, birds or small animals.
Learn more about essential oils by clicking on one of the following images.
What are some of your favorite essential oils? Do you have any favorite essential oil recipes?